Monday, November 5, 2012

Show & Tell Monday



1. Tell us what you studied in college. Is your job now related to what you studied?

The first time around I studied partying finance. Worked for a financial firm for about 4 years and realized that it was just not what I wanted to do. It is so hard to know at 18 what you want to do with your life and it took me a few years to figure this out. I had always been interested in dental hygiene but never actually new the steps to become one. I was more concerned with going to college with my best friend. Well this past May I finally graduated from hygiene school which was probably the hardest thing I have ever done but I could not be happier.

2. Tell us what your everyday job looks like.

I usually see my first patient bright and early at 7AM so this usually means I have to be in the office by 6:40 to get situated and ready. My day goes pretty non stop up until lunch time at 1pm where I have an hour break and then see patients again until 5 or 5:30. I may have a cancelation here and there but for the most part it is non stop, which makes snacking a very difficult thing! 

3. Do you have a picture of you at work? Show us.


With my favorite 3 year old at her first dental visit!

4. In 10 years, what do you see yourself doing? Same thing? More? Tell us.

In 10 years I hope that I am still a hygienist and also perhaps being a clinical instructor part time. 

5. Tell us what you have learned, and what {if any} recommendations you may have for those looking to go into the field you are in. 

Being a hygienist is a very rewarding career. If anyone is interested in pursing this as a career defiantly go for it. It is not easy but as long as you put in the hard work and dedication you will be successful. I get asked a lot "do you see a lot of gross mouths?" or "wow how can you really be doing this?" but honestly not 2 people are the same and that is what I love about it. Every person that walks into my room is different and no 2 days or 2 hours for that matter, are the same. I am lucky enough to get an hour to spend with each patient and I love learning about their lives as well as helping them with their smiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment